Friday, June 3, 2011

Fwd: Constituent: About the Sonics

You wish you lived in my Legislative District.


Rep. David Frockt replied to my email (below).

Michael

Thanks for your note.  We are looking at all options.

My last memorable Sonics game was the clincher in game 5 of the 2005 Western Conference series against the Kings.  My wife and I were there and it was fantastic.  (We don't need to talk about the years after that.)  Sports are a big part of the civic life of a region and I think we need to have NBA basketball back in the Puget Sound.  This was our original team.  Imagine Boston without the Red Sox or Chicago without the Cubs.  I think for many of us, that is what it feels like here without a team.

As was reported, Rep. Mike Hope and I are planning to work with community groups and civic and business leaders to lay the groundwork for a team when one becomes available.   We have had good responses from a number of elected officials  and civic leaders already.  The past is the past, and I think there is a feeling that it is time to renew this effort.

As you know, our state and region are facing major budget and economic pressures.  So we have to be realistic about what is politically possible.  That said, where there is a will there is a way.   Even in this economic climate, other regions are finding ways to build or renovate arenas in ways that are sensitive to taxpayers by leveraging private sector resources . We have to be creative and we are going to need big time support from the private sector - a deep private pocket to make this thing a reality.   

I was really encouraged by the supportive emails on this.   We'll be in touch as things develop.

David Frockt
State Representative, 46th Legislative District Assistant Floor Leader Serving on Judiciary, Education Appropriations, Technology, Energy, and Communications, and Rules Committees
Telephone: 360.786.7886
Toll Free: 800.562.6000
TTY: 800.635.9993
Office: Modular D, Office 104
E-Mail: David.Frockt@leg.wa.gov
Subscribe to my E-Newsletter: Click here

-----Original Message-----
From: communicate.with.mike gmail.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:19 PM
To: Frockt, Rep. David
Subject: Constituent: About the Sonics

HOUSE INTERNET E-MAIL DELIVERY SERVICE

TO:  Representative David Frockt

FROM: Mr. Michael Baker(Constituent)

STREET ADDRESS:

Seattle, WA

E-MAIL:  Communicate.with.mike gmail.com

PHONE:  (206) nnn-nnnn

SUBJECT:  About the Sonics

MESSAGE:

A friend sent me an email indicating that you and Rep. Hope have an interest in finding a way to return the NBA to Seattle.
I would be interested in what your ideas are on this.
In the end I think we end up with another PFD, or expanding the role of the Convention Center PFD.
One of the few revenue streams other states or municipalities have used is a "jock tax". Rodney Tom sank HB 2912 with a dozen amendments, ironically, one of those amendments would have fully funded a new arena.
http://tinyurl.com/ESHB2912-amnd101
I do not see the legislature mustering the votes for a B&O tax, but a "fee" of some kind would be worth considering.
Having Kobe Bryant pay for a new arena is an easier sell than Just about anything I have heard.

Anyway, I've been following this for a few years. Keep me informed.
Thanks.

NOTE:  We are 99% sure that this constituent is in your district

RESPONSE REQUESTED:  Mr. Baker has requested a response to this message.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Encouraging.

Mr Baker said...

"The past is the past, and I think there is a feeling that it is time to renew this effort."

He and Rep. Hope do not have the baggage that some other legislators may have.

Peter said...

apparently the task force has already been formed and has met:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpy1OGdU4x4&feature=related

mike hope tweets it here:

http://twitter.com/#!/mike_hope_

Mr Baker said...

Who was going to be on it I think has been answered. A more formal announcement is forthcoming. But yes, It has been formed.

Mr Baker said...

I do not know what legislative committee this is covered by. They did not pass a bill to form a Joint or Select Committee.

There should be some Senators involved, not sure who, yet.

Anonymous said...

So what's going on with SC Mr.B? I like the player fee deal. I put it in the perspective that if I wanted to play flag-football in a sanctioned local league there's an entry fee for maintence venue rental etc, so I see the bigger picture regarding pro-sports as well. I realize there's a couple of people (one in particular) that post contrarian views just to be contrarian, but this player fee is worthwhile. Don't give up the ship.

Mr Baker said...

The owner of that blog can get off his ass and do something with it. It's broken, and getting shit about what caused the move is enough for me.

I'll be back when that web site is fixed, and more than 1 person can post stories, and more than a dozen people can comment.

Peter said...

any idea if the task force will be aired on TVW this summer? i would love to watch it. also, i think hope and frockt mentioned with aaron levine on q13 that tacoma was an possible location for an arena. i think one of them said that bellevue and tacoma as well as seattle were interested. kind of weird. i havent heard anything about tacoma. nice part about that interview is both of them said that if they didnt think they could be successful they wouldnt even try.

Peter said...

it was right here:

"Hope: I know that they are looking at Bellevue, at Tacoma."

http://www.q13fox.com/sports/kcpq-exclusive-state-legislators-talk-about-bringing-nba-nhl-to-seattle-aaron-levine-spokane-bellevue-sonics-20110605,0,5013043.story?page=2

i definitely agree with them. this is no time to be fighting over where the arena is. either seattle steps up, or let bellevue (or even tacoma maybe) win out.

Mr Baker said...

I will guess that north or south end of Lake Washington (I-5/405 interchanges have a fair shot, after Seattle and Bellevue.
My opinion, not inside info.
My guess, after all of the fighting, right now, Tukwilla

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tukwila,_Washington

Anonymous said...

Are you referring to the Landing in Renton? There's also open space at the old Longacres spot where the Sounder stops as well. Both are a bit off of the beaten trail in my opinion. I'm of the mind now where you optimally shoe-horn a venue as close to a densely populated urban center as possible, IE downtown Seattle or Bellevue. But that's just my opinion.

Mr Baker said...

Don't know if it would be Tukwila so much as a point at one end or the other of 405.
In the South, Tukwilla, north is Lynnwood, and I don't see Lynnwood.
Crossing bridges just looks bad, and the battle between Seattle and Bellevue that should be organizing now may cancel each other out.
just now I looked at google maps, found property just south of the last 405 exit.

It's random, and the point there is that you can randomly pick property just by looking at a map.
18115-1/2 N 57th St
Tukwila‎ Washington‎ 98188
United States

Anonymous said...

The Landing site in Renton, is still vacant (shocker) albeit CBRE is not reporting as being for sale any more. You may remember it as the place Clay-Clay and Margerita Prentice were advocating. Google Maps declanation: 47.495625,-122.206877

Blog Feeds